Bread, Circuses and Suffering
Topic: Biblical Passage: Numbers 11:1–11:3
Our theology of suffering is a bad theology, we avoid it.
Suffering in the word of God is a vocation, it’s a lifestyle.
Acts 9:15-17a We are chosen instruments!
Paul cries out for suffering not comfort, cash or security.
1. This is not the first culture that have the extreme wealth, opulence, security and peace.
-America church is dying because God people has bitten in the apple, living in cash, comfort and security. This is not the first opulent wealthy culture, it existed in the old testament. And you don’t hear it once to pursue it.
2. Not all suffering is equal.
3. Cash, comfort and security brings no joy. Jesus is bring internal joy.
- Joy is completing the suffering in Christ.
-John 21:15,18-19 - If you love me, your life will be a life of service.
- Matthew 24:9
- 1 Peter 1:6-7
- Hebrews 11:37-40 , Hebrews 12:1-2 - Relentless death and suffering.
- Revelation 21:3-4
- Colossians 1:5-6,24
- Philippians 2:30 - Its all about mission! Paul’s call is your call!
The church here (America) has a idolatry problem. You have an idol, you need to address it.
- Ecclesiastes 7:1-4 - Death is better than living.
What sorrow brings to your heart creates a silver minded thoughtful reflective person.