Jonah: God Runs Faster
Topic: Biblical Passage: Jonah 1:1–1:3
Book of Jonah is about:
1. Reality that you are a runner. You are Jonah.
2. God's extravagant love. You can not out run God.
3. It is about the grace of God.
4. Two sides of the same coin of grace: rescue and call by God to be used by God to reduce others.
History of running and rescuing:
1. Adam and Eve: Genesis 1-2 on the run in Genesis 3.
2. In 2000 God's extravagant love rescuing a people.
3. In 1445 God's extravagant love in the Exodus.
4. In 1400 God's extravagant love in the land.
5. In 1000 God's extravagant love in King.
6. Late 8th century extravagant love through the prophet.
*2 Kings 14:25-27
*Jonah 1:1-3, 4:1-2,11
Jonah runs because:
1. He forgotten how sinful he is.
2. "Our heart is continually inclined to rebel against the Lord our God. So ready to rebel, that O, so gladly, were it but for a single day, we would take from His hands the reins of His supreme rule, imagining that we would manage things far better and direct them far more effectively than God" ~ Abraham Kuyper
Signs that we are on the run:
1. You cannot stand being around the truth of the gospel, you are more sinful than you ever dared believed.
2. You compare yourself to others, THEY."
3. You are unaware, numb to your own wretchedness (deep sleep) and inoculated from grace.
*2 Timothy 4:2-4
The hound of heaven pursues us.
"God calls us to stop hiding and come openly to him. God is the father who ran to his prodigal son when he came limping home. God weeps over us when shame and self-hatred immobilize us. Yet as soon as we lose our nerves about ourselves, we take cover. Adam and Eve hid, and we all, in one way or another, have used them as role models. Why? Because we do not like what we see. It is uncomfortable – intolerable – to confront our true-selves.” ~ Brennan Manning