Joy: Joy and Obedience
Topic: Biblical Passage: Philippians 4:9–4:13
How Does it End?
JUST DO IT!
Philippians 4:9, 11-13
Closing theme: "Just Do It"
Because good practice lead to full joy (contentment) and full eternal LIFE in the presence of Christ where the God of peace dwells with you. (by implication and woven through the letter) Conversly, bad practices lead todrift and death (without the God of peace).
"In other words if you make peace with your sin--if during your life, you develop a pattern of worldliness that does not make war on your sin--you will go to hell." -John Piper
Philippians 4:9, 12-13
- Define practice
- Result of good practices
- What are our practices?
- It means repetitive, deliberate, daily work.
- Repetitive, deliberate, daily work so that the behavior ultimately defines your character as one whose citizenship is in heaven.
Define: Practicing (all that Paul has taught, they have received, seen, and heard in him) the 3G life in repetitive, deliberate, daily work (behaviors) faithfully so that the believer's life, as a citizen of heaven, becomes identified with and inseparable from them.
"This word was used in Greek mystery religions to desribe people who had worked their way up through the various lower "degrees" and had finally been admitted into full possession of the "mystery" itself. Paul is saying, "I have made my way up through the degrees of progressive detachment from the things of the world, its comforts andits discomforts alike, and finally I have reached maturity on this point. I know the secret; circumstances can never again touch me. Paul had learned the lesson. Bit by bit, test by test, circumstance by circumstance, he presevered through the lower degree until finally "graduated" and the "secret" was his. Contentment did not come easily. He purchased it at the price of exacting discipline." -Alex Motyer
RESULT FULLNESS of Joy
- PRINCIPLE: Nothing (outside of knowing Christ) has a worth that is great enough to meet the deepest longings of our heart (to fill us to full joy, give us "contentment).
"Aim at heaven and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth and you get neither." -C.S. Lewis
"Thou hast made us for thyself, and our heart is restless until it finds its rest in thee." -Augustine, Confessions
RESULT "I CAN DO ANYTHING"
Practices of paul
What you have been taught, received, heard and seen in me...PRACTICE THESE THINGS
- Partnering in the gospel
- Personally (sacrificial risk in advancing GOOD NEWS)
2. Gospel Centered Community
- Life together
- Life lived for others
- Life together and for each other for the experience of the surpassing greatness of knowing CHRIST JESUS
PRACTICE FOR LBC
- Gathering for WORSHIP, CELEBRATING, GIVING, SHARING, SERVING
2. Partnering in the gospel (the practice of deliberate, daily, work) in sharing the hope of CHRIST.
3. Deliberate, daily, work in serving each other (Prayers, meals, help).