Christmas In The Psalms: Great Joy
Topic: Biblical Passage: Psalm 1:1–1:6
News That Causes Great Joy
Accordance Bible Software
The New Testament contains more than 100 quotations from the Psalms. With two small exceptions, every New Testament writer draws from the beloved hymnbook of God’s chosen people.
In the opening line of the New Testament, Matthew declares that Jesus is “the son of David” and then uses 15 quotations from the Psalms to prove His Messiahship.
When Mary—“a virgin pledged to be married to...a descendant of David”—breaks out in song (1:46-55), she effortlessly quotes repeatedly from the Psalms. The same is true of Zacharias, father of John the Baptist. (1:68-79)
What We Want for Christmas: Psalm 1
- GREAT JOY is within your grasp this Christmas. “Oh How very, very happy is the on who…”
- The Immediate cause is THE WORD OF GOD where we see Christ
- Joshua 1:8
- Deuteronomy 17:18-20
3. Our greatest GIFT IS TO MEDITATE on the WORD of God where we see Christ
- Delight in the word: “to feel great favor toward something.”
- Day and night…”constantly, consistently, and regularly.”
- “Meditate”…infuse your thinking of Christ: “to moan, utter, speak, muse, think, and plan.”